Targa-Bambina 2020 postponed

Newfoundland International Motorsports Limited regrets to inform you that due to the COVID pandemic we will be postponing the first combined Targa Bambina and Targa Newfoundland events which were scheduled to be held during September 2020.

Newfoundland International Motorsports Limited is proud to inform you that we will be launching the first combined Targa Bambina and Targa Newfoundland events on September 11th to 18th 2021.

The reasons for the postponement are as follows:

  • The course, while ready to run, could not have been totally finalized until the Green Check was completed in August.
  • In reviewing our rules so they would comply with Covid requirements, we realized that social gatherings such as the start Meet and Greet and Awards Gala would have to be removed from the schedule. As well, special arrangements would have to be made for the daily community lunches.
  • These social gatherings, hotel and B&B arrangements would also have to be reviewed as all are a very critical part of the joint Bambina-Targa event.
  • In addition it is apparent that our borders; internationally, nationally and provincially, do not seem to be opening any time soon. More important, the Atlantic provinces are holding them tight.
  • Marine Atlantic will not be operating the North Sydney to Argentia run this year. This is the route of choice for most of our competitors. While it is not a complete shutdown, it would require competitors coming from North America to use the North Sydney to Port aux Basque route, which requires an 1800 km drive to St. john’s and return.
  • Our Provincial Government has also announced its new COVID reopening regulations which are much slower than anticipated.

While we regret that we are forced into this decision, it is very much a “force majore” situation. We wish to assure all that we are alive, safe and well and very busy planning for a huge 20/20 Targa Newfoundland / Bambina celebration. It will be our 20th event and 20th year in 2021. Our rules and regulations are set until 2023 so there will be no changes to be concerned about.

Should the COVID rules change, and the opportunity present itself will look to running the 4th 3 day Bambina event in the autumn of 2020.

We will update and advise as we know more.

Stay Safe and Healthy

Robert Giannou

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*